Babies explore with all their senses. At some point, they’re going to put their mouth, hands and face on their play mat, which means the number one consideration is a non-toxic material.
But that shouldn’t mean sacrificing style for a sterile surface. If you know what to look for in a non-toxic baby play mat, you can easily find a stylish, comfy, accident-resistant baby mat that looks great in any space.
What makes a perfect non-toxic play mat?
Materials make all the difference. Creating a safe and healthy space for your baby to play and develop means looking for materials that are:
- BPA free
- PVC free
- Latex free
- Standard 100 by OEKO-TEX® certified
The best play mat materials
We played with a lot of materials when creating the first Ludere play mats. Eventually, we landed on two materials that checked all our boxes:
- 100% French linen with a hypoallergenic microfibre padding
- TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) foam, free from any nasties and incredibly durable
Both materials are safe and sanitary for babies, plus chic and comfortable for mum and dad. You won’t find any hidden toxic elements, strange smells or allergens – just the softest, squishiest, safest play mats for your bubs.
Materials to avoid
If you’re searching for baby mats online, you’re no doubt overwhelmed with choices. We’ve been there. While many cheaper imported play mats make grand claims, they can often use sinister sub-par materials.
Here are some to watch out for:
- EPE (food-grade polyethylene): Non-toxic and waterproof, but nowhere near as durable as TPU.
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride): A big no-no! PVC contains toxins, chemicals and plastics that you want to keep well away from your baby.
- Cheap cotton: Low-quality cotton is rough on skin, often coloured with chemical pigments and made from cotton crops riddled with pesticides. Look for Standard 100 by OEKO-TEX® certified fabric materials.
- Rubber: Rubber develops a stickiness and a smell over time. Although it’s thick, the feeling isn’t as nice as TPU.
- EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate): EVA is banned in the EU because it is often treated with flame retardant and contains chemicals from the manufacturing plant.
Accidents are part of raising kids. Choosing a play mat that’s waterproof and easy to clean will make playtime stress-free and comfortable for everyone.
As your baby grows, so does the amount of mess they can make. In the early days, look for a hypoallergenic padded fabric play mat that can go straight into your washing machine and be dried without fussing over covers. You want your padded play mat to stay healthy and hygienic for your growing explorer, wash after wash.
When it’s time to switch to a denser foam play mat, choose TPU foam. TPU is a dense foam that repels moisture, so it’s easy to clean with a soapy sponge. TPU play mats are also great to lay over carpet to protect from dirt, spills and other little accidents.
Where to buy Australia’s best non-toxic play mats
If you’re searching for a modern play mat to create the perfect plush environment for your little one, we’ve got just the thing. Ludere baby play mats are non-toxic, stylish in any space, so easy to clean, and soft in every sense of the word.
Durable and delightful: we guarantee it
Like purchasing a car seat or carrier, peace of mind is essential when buying a baby play mat. Ludere Australian-made play mats come with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 6-month replacement warranty, so your baby can learn, explore and grow in the most comfortable space.